Monday, November 10, 2014

Appendectomy

Last Tuesday our phone rang very early in the morning.  It was our beautiful daughter, and she was crying.  She said her stomach had been hurting for about an hour.

We threw our clothes on and began the two hour drive to where she attends college.

Thankfully my cousin and his wife live in the same town where Alex goes to college.  Alex tutors their oldest son, and babysits for them.  My cousin's wife is an ER doctor.

She went WAAYYY above and beyond and picked up Alex from her dorm and took her to the emergency room.  By the time we got there they had already put in an IV, drawn some blood and were waiting on test results.

Very long story short, they determined it was her appendix, and Alex had surgery about 1:30 Tuesday afternoon.  Her appendix had not ruptured (Praise the Lord) so they were able to do the surgery laparoscopically, so she just has three tiny incisions.

Amazingly, by 4:30 p.m. we left the hospital, and, after a quick trip to her dorm room to pick up some clothing and homework we were on the road home by 5:00 p.m.  We walked into our house at 7:00 p.m. that same day.

Alex spent the rest of the week, and weekend, recovering at home and yesterday afternoon I drove her back to school. While I hate that she had to have surgery, we sure enjoyed having her home for an extended stay.

She is feeling great.  She still has a little soreness, and I'm sure she will be tired by the time she is finished with her four classes today.  But she definitely has the worst behind her.

We are thankful for so many things.  Thankful that her appendix hadn't ruptured.  Thankful for no infection.  Thankful for my cousin's wife and all of the other doctors and nurses who took such great care of Alex.  And we are praying for complete healing, in Jesus name. 





We do not understand why Alex had to go through this, but we trust that nothing surprises our God.  And we know that He works all things together for our good.



8 comments:

  1. I just thanked the Lord for your daughter and for the relative living so close but a emerge Dr. Oh what a blessing.
    I have had that kind of operation myself for another operation. They are very good recoveries. My G. D. lived in first year at the dorm five years ago.. Far away also from parents same distance. So I know what it is like to have to go there in an emergency. Nice she could come home but not the nicest reason. Most moms like shopping with
    daughter. Ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so glad she was able to get to the hospital. I am sure it was so scary for her. Fortunately she did have some family close. Praise God. Praying for her speedy recovery. Thank you so much for coming by my blog and commenting on my weird random computer problem post! It was great to log on and see sweet comments.
    I haven't tried another post yet. Sorta scared. LOL.
    Thanks again and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex looks beautiful, even in the hospital gown! I am so thankful she is doing well, and that everything seemed to fall into place (praise God indeed - what a story!!). Prayers for continued healing and quick recovery!! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad your beautiful daughter is doing so well. God certainly had his hand on her and got her where she needed to be on time~ My foster brother's appendix ruptured and he was in the hospital for 17 days. It was a miracle that he did not die.

    As much as you love having your kids home to visit-----That is the kind of unexpected visit home you don't want! Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly a God moment for sure. He allowed just enough time to pass for you to get her seen before anything worse had happened and you just happened to be home when she called. So thankful it all worked out just the way it did.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that God shows His faithfulness and His presence by also providing people around us who are selflessly able to provide their love and care at the most difficult circumstances so that we don't have to be alone. I'm glad your daughter is okay and that praying she is fully strong by now and has completely healed. Whenever I hear, see or read "faith markers" like this, just strengthens my faith all the more so I can keep walking and learn to endure. Thanks. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear...may she recover fully and well!

    ReplyDelete