Monday, May 7, 2018

Laundry Quandry

Hey friends!!  Spring has sprung here in Central Missouri!  The temperatures have finally warmed up and we've had lots of sunshine.  We're still behind on rainfall, and hoping the rain in the forecast for tomorrow night actually falls in neck of the woods.  The pastures are way behind on growth, so in order for our cows to have plenty of hay to eat next winter, we need rain and sunshine and GRASS GROWING!! 




I see a lot of blog posts and Instagram squares about women (sorry guys but it is ladies doing most of the laundry) and all their issues with laundry.  They talk about having 10 loads of laundry to do and they're trying to figure out how to get it done (I'm not exaggerating, I've actually read these posts).  They talk about spending the entire weekend doing laundry.  And having laundry baskets full of clean clothes and living out of laundry baskets.  Having loads and loads of laundry folded but not put away and never being caught up with laundry.

Now, before I go on, I want to say that I believe blogs and Instagram and other forms of social media should be used to encourage one another.  I read comments where folks are downright mean and hateful criticizing someone else.  I'm not criticizing anyone, just telling you how I did it. I have never owned a laundry basket in my life.  Never.  I throw a load of laundry in the washer, I put it in the dryer, and I put it away . . . as soon as I take it out of the dryer.   

Never touch clean laundry twice is my best advice for anybody out there struggling with laundry!! 


My husband is a full-time farmer and his clothes are FILTHY, and our two kids were constantly involved in one or more sports.  I work full time so I was gone all day 5 days per week.  I got off work at 5 o'clock every night then drove 30 minutes home.  I did laundry nearly every night.  Never "saved" laundry until the weekend.  And I never struggled with laundry either so I really don't understand why so many people have issues with laundry?  I mean it was just part of my life.  I threw a load in while I was fixing supper.  Then put the clothes in the dryer as soon as the wash cycle was finished.  Then I put it away, most of the time right before I went to bed.  Even a large capacity dryer (which I had) only holds so many clothes.  So open the door and put that laundry away!!  Save yourself moving it to a laundry basket, then wherever you would put clean laundry that you don't put away??  I just don't understand why the laundry quandry for so many people.  Don't touch it twice.  I washed our bed sheets once a week and then put them right back on the beds.  Only had one set of sheets for each bed so no choice but to put them right back on.

Right now I have a load of "whites" in the dryer.  As soon as I get home tonight I'll throw a load of "work" clothes in the washer.  And when I say work clothes they are our farming clothes so believe me, they're really, really dirty.  Once I get the washer going I'll take the towels and such out of the dryer, fold everything then carry it to where it belongs and put it away.  No laundry basket needed.  I mean, really, it doesn't take 5 minutes to fold and put away one load of whites??  The work clothes . . . . when the cycle is done I'll throw those in the dryer and then put them away.  I carry all those jeans and work shirts into our bedroom and put them on the bed.  I fold the jeans in half and put them in the drawer and I take the work shirts and hang them in the closet.  Again, realistically, five minutes maybe?  And it's done. 

One question I do have . . . how can you have 10 loads of clothes??  My husband and I do not have a lot of clothing.  I own 3 pairs of jeans, and he owns maybe 6 pair.  He has maybe 6 or 8 work shirts and a couple of "dress" shirts.  I work full time and will wear the same pair of pants more than once per week.  And that's my choice.  We just don't spend much money on clothing.  But I wonder how many clothes do these people have to have in order to have 10 loads of  dirty clothes???  How many clothes do you need ? ? ?

So what about you?  Did you struggle to keep your laundry caught up?  Are you like me . . . laundry is not a big deal?  Inquiring minds want to hear your laundry story!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I did 5 loads today. But, we had been gone since Wednesday. I had 4 days of blacksmith conference clothes, camper linens, my clothes and towels from here!.

    I never remember having 10 loads even with kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had my four daughters at home. I would do laundry about every day. Think of the wash cloths and towels we used daily. The washer and dryer were going almost everyday. That's how you stay on top of laundry. I think if a family has the room, two dryers would be awesome with a big family. LOL Hopefully people are still parenting and teaching children big enough...to help with laundry and to absolutely put things away. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete