Thursday, August 26, 2010

Fresh Tomatoes = Salsa!!!!!



Well it took several hours last night, but all of those fresh tomatoes that my mom and I peeled Tuesday evening are now SALSA!!  After much peeling and chopping of onions and jalapenos and garlic, and much stirring, my kitchen counter is covered with 12 quarts and 13 pints of delicious homemade salsa.  That is over FOUR GALLON OF SALSA!!!  If you'd like my step-by-step recipe, please head here for all the details!

Now I know I said "all" the tomatoes are now salsa but that's not exactly true.  I still have one gallon of tomatoes in my refrigerator but it was late and we were tired, so I'll make another "batch" on Saturday.

If you've never had homemade salsa I encourage you to give it a try.  It is very easy and very forgiving so if you've never "canned" before, this is the place to begin.  You don't have to use a pressure cooker, just a boiling water bath which is a fancy word for a big pot full of water.  It truly is worth every bit of effort.  It is delicious, and eating our home canned salsa gives us a feeling of accomplishment that I really can't describe.  Maybe it's just us, but we LOVE our homemade salsa.   

7 comments:

  1. It may be an "easy", but it's hard work and takes awhile! :) But you're right... oh so tasty and worth it. Great job! There's nothing like the homemade, for sure. Yum! Enjoy! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! Lots of work, but well worth it. I'm gonna' check out that recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made lots of it last year. This year, however, we weren't successful with the tomato crop. Sniff Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was awesome!!! I got to try it...so so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so as I was changing my blog background and stuff around I found a fresh tomatoe background and immediately thought of you!!! Bright red...summertime homegrown tomatoes...So funny! This blogging thing is fun but takes a lot of getting used to! I deleted my post tonight about 5 times just trying to get the right picture in the right place! LOL See you tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMY!! Nick made salsa for the first time last year and it tasted like spaghetti sause. Round 2 this year = success! I'll have to show him your recipe to compare!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes....the only sauce is the HOMEMADE ONE.....!!!!
    Every lady has got her little secrets; but yours looks just FANTASTICO!!!!!!

    have a great weekend!!
    ciao ciao elvira

    ReplyDelete