Friday, August 12, 2011

Relief

We have finally gotten some RELIEF from the heat here in Missouri.  It is still warm of course (hey, it's still August in Missouri), but no longer BRUTALLY HOT.  Early last week we had high temperatures well over 100.  By the end of the week, it had cooled down and we had actually gotten some rain.  Rain.  I had to remind myself what rain looked like and felt like, but we got it.  And we needed it desperately.  It has been so dry that we aren't out of the woods yet.  But at  least we are beginning to feel that the worse is over. 


And just like we need relief from extreme weather, sometimes we need relief from situations in our lives.  Thank God that HE promised in Matthew 11:28-30;  "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Does this mean that by putting your trust in the Lord you won't have problems.  I really wish it did, but it doesn't.  Even Jesus said in John 16:33:  "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

We have good days and bad days.  Honestly, we have great days and then really HORRIBLE days.  And sometimes we just have days where they all run together and you just feel tired and worn out.  You feel like you're doing all you can do, and it isn't enough.  Listen to me.  When you feel like that RUN TO JESUS!  Run to Him.  He is the only one who can send that sweet relief, His Holy Spirit.

Sometimes it isn't the "big" things that get us down, although we all know those big things aren't fun.  But many times, in my own life, sometimes I just need reassurance that it's all O.K.  That He is in control of my life.  And He is . . . IF I LET HIM and that can be tough.  Really tough.

Trust in the Lord.  And really trusting Him means DON'T WORRY.  It means praying for rain, and trusting that HE will send it in His time.  That can be tough too.

So today, I am thankful to the Lord for some relief from this extreme summer, and I am thankful for relief for my soul.  He never fails.  Thank you Jesus.



7 comments:

  1. I remember what our pastor said from one of his sermons, that when we worry is not good because that means we're not completely trusting in the Lord.

    I'm so grateful we didn't have triple digits temp (hope we won't have it) and like now, it's supposed to be hot but cold actually as we had some cloud coverings.

    I'm glad you got some rain. I just know I want winter to be here :) God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went and stood in the rain and enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can't even begin to imagine your heat! That text is one of my favourite - 'Come unto me...' - because, how often we *do* labour - whether under the weight of our own sin; our worries; our workload.... And how often I think of the words, 'Oh what needless pain... all because we do not carry, everything to God in prayer'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Oh, btw, I'll stand in the rain when we get some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard it's been beastly; so glad you're getting some relief.
    Pray for rain and carry an umbrella is what I once heard a preacher say. Me? I'd rather just dance in the rain; it's only water -grin-.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful and timely post :) Thanks for helping to lift me up today. We still have some green grass here, but things are getting very dry again. I took note of our rapidly shrinking ponds the other day as I checked our cattle. A little discouraging, but I will continue to look UP ;) Have a great week!! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how we have said the same prayers. This has been such a hot summer in MO. We are so thankful for the recent rain and the 90 degree temps. Now Lila and I can finally get out and go for our morning walks.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete