I feel as if Down On The Farm has become a chronology of my mother's health, and prayer requests. There are plenty of blogs out there full of recipes and cute home decorating projects, and maybe one day I can get back to throwing a few of those in around some pretty weighty subjects, but for now, I just can't go there. And that's OK with me. I hope it's OK with you, and if you've hung around here this long I hope you will hang around a little longer.
I KNOW THAT GOD HAS A PLAN!!!!
We got FANTASTIC NEWS in Houston!!! The tumors have SHRUNK.
LIKE BY HALF.
The oncologist was amazed. The results were better than they expected and we say
THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!
So we met with a surgeon on Friday and he is absolutely convinced he can do the surgery on the liver (you might recall mom was diagnosed with colon cancer in August that had spread to her liver). It will not be an easy surgery, and the recovery will take awhile.
He is taking mom's case before what they call the "Tumor Board" which is a group of 50 MD Anderson doctors who discuss all of the cases, and all of the particulars of each case, to come up with the best recommendation for each patient (this Board meets on Tuesday, February 7th, so specific prayers for God to guide them on that day would be awesome). My mom is 79 years old and she just took 7 rounds of chemotherapy so she is pretty weak. Although she has been off of chemo for 3 weeks and is already beginning to feel better and get some strength built up. We are so thankful that she is feeling good. It is nice to see a smile on her face :)!!!!
We are "on hold" waiting for a call from the surgeon's office as to whether or not the "Tumor Board" recommends surgery. We should get a call on Wednesday February 8th, and surgery is already scheduled for February 16th if that is their recommendation. And the recommendation will be based on mom's overall health and whether or not they believe she is physically able to withstand the surgery and the recovery. The surgeon is confident, but due to mom's age he wants to discuss it with other doctors.
Here's the deal. Surgery is our best chance for my mom to beat cancer and move forward with a normal life. If you read the statistics, there is a good chance the cancer will return at some point. But there is a chance it won't. If surgery is not an option, then we begin what the doctor refers to as "buying time." There are other treatments, and they are much less invasive than surgery, but they are just that . . . treatments . . . because the cancer is still there without surgery. Treatments just put off the inevitable.
WE WANT GOD'S PERFECT WILL IN THIS SITUATION. WE NEED DIVINE WISDOM. JUST BECAUSE THEY RECOMMEND SURGERY, MOM COULD DECIDE NOT TO PROCEED WITH SURGERY AND JUST DO THE TREATMENTS.
I ask that you would PLEASE once again lift our family before the Lord. We want His will, no matter what that is. We need to know if we should proceed with the surgery if that is the recommendation.
And while you're praying I ask for your prayers for my beautiful cousin Cammi. Cammi is 33 years old, a wife and mother of 4 beautiful children, and she was diagnosed with breast cancer last week. She starts chemotherapy tomorrow, February 3rd. She needs a touch from Jesus.
I CAN'T THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH FOR YOUR PRAYERS FOR MY MOM AND MY FAMILY. As always, I have days of being very positive, and days of feeling pretty overwhelmed. I know that God is in this, and I trust Him, but I am human. I want to take this all away, and yet I believe God has set this path before us. I want to bring glory and honor to Him.
Thank you for your prayers!!!!