Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Great Low Carb Recipe

I don't know that I have shared with you, but my preferred method of weight loss is "low carb."  Actually "preferred" probably isn't accurate.  "Required" is the better word.  I love bread.  I love pasta. I love sweets.  And nobody who likes all those things "prefers" low carb.  However, and I know there are lots of folks who would disagree, low carb works for me.  And one of the things I am focusing on for this new year is to lose some weight and to be in better shape.

For anyone who has done low carb dieting before, you know that it can be monotonous.  Because, honestly, there are lots and lots of foods out there that you just can't consume on a regular basis.

So, I've been searching for some good low carb recipes and I found a great one.  Now the original recipe isn't low carb at all.  The original recipe can be found HERE and can I just say that if I weren't trying to follow a low carb diet, I would be ALL OVER THIS RECIPE EXACTLY AS IT IS WRITTEN.  I mean it just LOOKS delicious.

However, when you are trying to eat low carb, you can't exactly have a baguette.  So, I decided to try the recipe baked in muffin tins instead of baking the egg mixture in a baguette. 

I must admit that I tweaked the recipe by necessity.  I have no pancetta in my refrigerator.  And I have no gruyere cheese in my refrigerator.  I live in Central Missouri.  So, I substituted country ham for the pancetta and I substituted shredded cheddar cheese for the gruyere and you know what?  It tasted delicious anyway!  I do think the gruyere cheese would give it a totally different flavor, and next time I go to the grocery store I will pick some up and make the egg muffins again.



5 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
4 ounces cooked country ham
4 ounces shredded cheddar
2 green onions
salt and pepper to taste

Mix well and pour into greased muffin tins.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Don't they look delicious?  I'm sorry, but the picture doesn't do them justice.  Hey, it was late, it was after dark and I just couldn't get a good shot of them.

Give the recipe a try.  I know you will love them.  And for you bread eaters out there, enjoy that baguette!

3 comments:

  1. These look WONDERFUL! A low-carb diet is my *requirement* too. I'm sharing low-carb recipes on Fridays (starting last Friday).

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look good. I've found my body responds better to a low fat. It's all in the jeans/uh genes, baby. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, I made my first breakfast casserole the other day, these look pretty good and easy!

    ReplyDelete