Thursday, January 5, 2012

What's On My Mind ~~ An Abundant Life

I try not to make New Year's Resolutions.  I've made them before, and they usually didn't last very long.  Guess I wasn't very "resolved" huh? 

So this year I'm thinking about some changes I would like to make in my life. I have a new resolve to live every single day to the fullest. To not just plod through every day life, but to relish it. To tell all those I love just how MUCH I love them.  To spend MORE time doing what I want to do, and LESS time doing what I DON’T want to do.  To try to look for, and enjoy, the simple things in life.  To be nice and smile at everyone I meet.  To find something beautiful in each day.  To look for random acts of kindness I can do, something simple that can make someone’s day, even if it’s just smiling at them.  Or paying for the order for the car behind me in the drive thru.  To spend less time vegging out in front of the TV, and more time reading the Bible.    To make meal times more special at our house.  To put a little extra effort into setting the table so it is pretty.  Trying harder to make my house a warm, inviting home, a place my family WANTS to be.

I want to be more thankful to God for what I have, and give less thought to what I'd like to have.  To seek God's will not only in the big decisions of my life, but in the every day things. My heart's desire is for people to see Him in me. 

So there you have it.  The things I am striving for.  Not just in 2012, but for the rest of my life.  And while it looks like a simple list ~~ it isn't.  I will be praying for God to strengthen me and encourage me as I endeavor to live life better with His help.

In John 10:10 Jesus says "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.  I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." 

I personally do not believe that an "abundant life" means money and possessions.  I know people who have lots of "stuff" and their lives are far from abundant.

I believe that an abundant life means a life lived with peace and joy that only He can provide.  A life that brings glory and honor to God is an abundant life.  No matter what life throws at us, if our lives are built around Him, then we cannot be shaken.  We can have peace and joy in the midst of horrible events.  But only if we seek Him first.

"Lord, help me today and every day to seek You first.  To seek Your will, and to be obedient to Your will.  Forgive me for all the times that I fail miserably.  Strengthen me and encourage me to be Your hands and feet.  Help me to not grow weary in doing good.  I love you Lord, and I want Your abundant life, full of peace.  In Jesus name I ask, and I thank you.  Amen"



3 comments:

  1. Perfect :) An abundant life - that's what we're all seeking. We really need not look too far! Thanks for the inspiration. I refuse to make any more 'resolutions' too ;) I've missed my visits here - I've been a baaad bloggy friend lately. Hope you and your family had a great Christmas!! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! I think you have *abundant life* spot on friend! I am striving for exactly what you've detailed here. The word I've picked for 2012 is CONTENTMENT -- not because I'm not but because I want to be constantly reminded to be :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this post and it says everything I've been feeling about the coming year as well. Thank you for your prayers for me and I will do the same for you. I wish you a wonderful 2012 and I look forward to hearing more about what you're up to this year.

    Hugs,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete