Monday, November 17, 2014

Early November Snow & Knitting

Oh my it has been cold this past week here in Central Missouri.  Now if it were January, this would not be unusual.  But it is NOVEMBER.  Last Monday it was 72 degrees.  Today the high is 22, and tomorrow's low temperature -- 12 degrees.  That is JANUARY weather, not November.

This is what my world looks like this morning.  Isn't it beautiful??


We rarely have snow in Missouri in November.  But we got a couple of inches yesterday.


I feel bad, because my husband is working outside in this weather.  He is busy making sure all the cows are fed.  Making sure the turkeys are fed.  He hates wintertime.  It makes a lot of extra work in very uncomfortable working conditions.  There is no rest for a farmer.  But he loves farming anyway!



And for all you knitters out there, I need some advice. My beautiful daughter (who is doing GREAT post appendectomy in case you were wondering) wants me to knit a hand band for her to keep her ears warm.  I've been doing some looking around online, and I've found a couple of fairly simple patterns.  I am really a beginning knitter.  That means I can make scarfs, and I can make little baby hats (knitting in the round!), but I don't know a lot of the fancy stitches so I'm looking for something pretty basic.  If you have any suggestions, I'd LOVE to hear from you!

These are a couple of patterns I've found so far.  The top one is a little more difficult, but very pretty.

Image by Craftsy

This second image looks very simple, even for a beginning knitter like me.

Image by Ratchadawan Chambers

So if you have any suggestions on an easy headband to make, PLEASE share!!

So whatever the weather is in your neck of the woods, I pray that you are blessed.  I pray that you are warm.  I pray that today you take a few moments to thank God for all of the blessings in your life.  And that, like me, today you will strive to be obedient to the verse below.  The world is full of evil, full of sin.  We are called to keep ourselves from this. 

Philippians 4:8   "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Stay warm!!!

4 comments:

  1. Now they are saying single digits for tomorrow! Probably a record breaker!! Brrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your daughter is doing great.. wonderful news!! You have a lot more snow than we "northerners" - just so you know ;) Ok, last winter my (then) DIL-to be started loom knitting w/ a little loom. I was intrigued, and bought one at Michaels or HobLob. I made a cute headband, which I almost forgot about! And a scarf that is too short for me, because I ran out of that color of yarn. But, the headband I am happy with. I know you already know the basic stitches so you may not be interesting in the loom, but I do know there are many stitches you can do w/ it also. My Sis and Mom tell me it's "cheating" to use a loom, but I found it fun and therapeutic! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your winter photos of the cows in the snow covered meadow. It certainly is no fun to work outside in this kind of weather. I remember as a child accompanying my Dad for his work in this kind of weather. He was a vet and had to visit many farms in our county for vaccinations. The cows were actually in the stable when the farmer knew that my Dad was coming, and I always remember the wonderful feeling of entering a warm stable after being in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cold here and getting colder with sleet, snow and high winds. The wood stove is getting a great workout and we're all warm. I've never used a pattern but those look pretty. I just cast on and knit...last time I knitted a throat cozy...to keep my throat warm while sleeping. Can't stand a cold throat, makes me wake up with a sore throat.

    ReplyDelete