Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hog Roast - Eldon FFA

This past weekend was the 28th Annual Eldon FFA Hog Roast.  FFA has grown from being a small organization for "farm boys" to being THE most popular student extra-curricular organization in Eldon High School.  The Eldon FFA Chapter has over 260 members, and is the 4th largest in the state of Missouri.

Last Saturday at the Hog Roast we served over 1,260 meals!  BBQ pork steak, pulled pork, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, rolls and dessert.  YUM YUM!!!  And, yes, it is all you can eat!  I say "we" because I volunteered to serve from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. 

After the dinner they have a work auction where juniors and seniors are "auctioned" off.  It really is a great fundraiser for the FFA Chapter, and is a lot of fun.  This was Cole's final year of being auctioned.


Alex and her friends had a great time working that evening too!



A wonderful evening of good, clean family fun, and a great meal too!!!  Even though it seems as if my kids are in everything, and that we have some type of school function or ballgame every single night, I truly don't regret one second of the time spent watching them.  I know that these are times I can't "do over" and I can honestly say I have missed very, very few things that Cole and Alex were in.  So for every hour I've spent in a car watching them practice, sitting on a bleacher watching a band concert or a ballgame, for every pie I've baked or crock pot full of chili I've donated, I am thankful.  I am so thankful to be blessed with beautiful, healthy children.  God has been so very good to me.  Cole's school years are coming to an end, and as I look back I realize what a wonderful life I have.  So, for all you moms out there feeling overwhelmed, HANG IN THERE.  All too soon it will be over and you don't want to look back with regret at what you've missed.  Your kids deserve your very best!   

3 comments:

  1. What a fun evening!!! You didn't say if he was "purchased" or not or for what! I have a lot of yard work he can do...kind of a long trip though! If I were closer I would have been bidding!!

    I feel the same way about all the moments and memories. I love it that your kids are able to share some of those with each other too.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sentiments exactly...I can't bear it some days thinking of my kids "growing up" and their activities ending. When you are in the midst of it, it seems so exhausting at times, but it truly is all joy. The FFA evening sounded so wonderful, so family focused, so pure and right and good. Makes you realize the blessings of knowing God. With all the negative/bad in the world, this is so uplifting! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have come to the dinner had I known about it. My daughter was in FFA as well. I loved going to their dinners.

    ReplyDelete