Monday, December 20, 2010

The Gift That Saves The Day

This Wednesday evening our church is having a blood drive.  Many in our congregation, myself included, will be donating blood.  The need for blood doesn't slow down just because the holidays are here.  Blood is needed every single day.  And, according to the American Red Cross, only about 3 in 100 Americans donate blood.  The last time I donated blood I was a senior in high school.  But Wednesday evening I will be rolling up my sleeve and donating blood. 

What if I needed blood?  What if my husband or one of my kids needed blood?  My parents, my sisters, my nieces and nephews?  Oh, how I would hope that somebody would take just a FEW MINUTES to donate blood.

So if you are wondering what you can do to "give back" this Christmas, I encourage you to donate blood.  Check your local newspaper or go online.  I am certain there is a blood drive near you.

In the words of the American Red Cross "The need is constant.  The gratification is instant.  Give blood."

5 comments:

  1. My husband has donated GALLONS over the past umpteen years and still gives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a good turn out at my dept recently. I know some don't like the Red Cross because they make the military pay for the blood. But the Community Blood Center is in Columbia now, a little too far away for me to drive. But I agree. We all need to donate if we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I hope many will donate in spite of the busyness of the season. Merry Christmas! ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bloodmobile comes to my work four times a year. I hate giving blood, but I do it anyway as my husband was the receiver once.

    I appreciate this post. Sometimes I don't think people realize how important this is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have dermagraphic hives. It is an autoimmunity problem. So I can't give anymore. But I do spread the word about donating.

    ReplyDelete