Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It Is Even A Vapor

On Sunday, November 28th, one of the people I work with took a walk with his mother.  It was Thanksgiving weekend, and they were doing what most of us did, spending time together with family.  I remember that Sunday well.  That same day I had my family to my house for our Thanksgiving dinner. 

Last Tuesday, November 30th his mother suddenly became very ill and was admitted to the hospital.  Within a day or two she was on life support.  Yesterday they took her off of life support and she passed away.

I am certain my co-worker has remembered that Sunday afternoon walk with his mother many times today and he is wondering, as any of us would, how this happened.

We tell ourselves that these situations aren't supposed to happen.  She was a relatively young woman.  Very healthy.  It was so sudden.  So unexpected.  And yet, we forget what the Bible tells us about life.

In James 4:14 we read this:  "[W]hereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away." 

A vapor.  Life is even a vapor.  We read that, and yet, we don't live as if we believe it.  I know I don't.  Not really.  Oh, I tell myself that anything can happen.  I tell myself that accidents happen, but secretly I believe they only happen to the "other guy."  People die young every day, but both my grandmothers are alive and in their late 90s.  So really, I think other people die young, but not in my family.  So why don't I believe it?  I mean, we are surrounded by death.  By tragedy.  And yet we think it can't happen to us.

We need to each be living our lives as if today were our last day on earth, and I am typing these words to myself more than I am typing them to anyone who may be reading this today.  I find myself trying to remember the last time I saw my mom??  I mean, I've talked to her on the phone in the last couple of days, and she sent me a text last night.  But when was the last time I SAW her, and told her how much I love her.  She only lives about 10 minutes away from me and yet, I just don't remember how many days it has been since I've seen her?  Three days, four days?  So much can change in such a short time. 

When my kids left for school this morning, did I tell them I loved them?   Did I tell my husband I loved him before I left for work? I think I did, but I'm not 100% sure.   And if something would happen to me today I would want them to KNOW just how very much I loved them.

Remember today as you go about your routine of working, taking care of kids, preparing for Christmas, whatever you are doing, that life is even a vapor.   Here for a little time and then it vanishes.   Remember what is truly important.  Remember what lasts. And please remember this family in your prayers.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry for your co-workers loss. I know many times throughout his life he will remember that special walk. I've been thinking about this 'vapor' topic a lot lately... not because I want to dwell on the negative. But, like your post today, it does give a better perspective on everything we do! Thanks for the reminder.. and my sympathies to your co-worker. -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Sorry for his loss but he will always cherish that. Life is a vapor gone before we know it and we arent promised tomorrow. We need to remember that but most people dont want to think about it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. I kiss my husband and tell him I love him every day I leave for work and he does the same. I tell my kids each time we talk on the phone. But I need to learn to tell my mother more. She was never a "huggy or I love you" type. My dad was but not my mom. We are getting better about hugging but not the words I love you.
    I'm sorry for your co-workers loss but glad they got the walk in before she passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so sorry to hear about your co-worker's loss of his mother! I know all too well how short life is as I'm the last of my family and my hubby's parents are gone now, too. It is so important to tell those we love that we love them!

    We don't know what the future holds, but we know who holds the future! ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post. A thinking post. I hope people take a minute and really think about how quickly life can be gone.
    I am sorry for you co-workers loss. May he find peace in his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post. A thinking post. I hope people take a minute and really think about how quickly life can be gone.
    I am sorry for you co-workers loss. May he find peace in his heart.

    ReplyDelete