Monday, February 1, 2010

Striving for Contentment

If you know me, you know that I don't like hot summertime.  I love spring, and I really love fall, my most favorite season, but when the temperature tops oh, say 85 degrees, I don't like it. It is so humid in Missouri in the summertime that once you get over 85 or 90 degrees it is just miserable.  Problem is, I don't like winter much either.  I like snow if I can stay home and watch it fall while eating a bowl of hot soup but I am rarely home so that doesn't happen much.  And I don't like really cold weather and in Missouri wintertime is C-O-L-D and L-O-N-G.  Today is February 1st and I am already tired of winter and spring is a long way away.  And, to make matters worse, for the last few years our spring and fall have gotten shorter and shorter and winter and summer have gotten longer and longer. 

So, I find myself complaining, a LOT, about the weather.  It's too hot, or it's too cold, or it's too windy, or its too wet and muddy.  But lately I truly feel led to STOP COMPLAINING.  God made each and every season.  He made the wind.  He made the snow.  And here I am complaining about them ? ? ?   Shame on me.

The Apostle Paul says in Phillippians 4:11 "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." 

Hebrews 13:5 says "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."


I have to admit that this is not something that comes easily to me.  I have been guilty many, many times of looking at what I DON'T have, instead of what I DO have.  I have to admit that, but it is true.  I wish my house were newer, nicer, bigger. I wish I had more money.  I wish I could do this or that or go here or there.  But you know what, I have absolutely NOTHING to complain about.  I gave my heart to Jesus many years ago, and He has promised that I will spend eternity with Him!  My parents are alive and healthy and still married after nearly 47 years.  I have two amazing sisters, two beautiful nieces and two handsome nephews.  I have been married for 24 years to the love of my life.  I have the most wonderful son and daughter that God ever sent to this earth.  I have a roof over my head, I have my health, I have a job.  I AM A BLESSED WOMAN. 
 
So, today, I am going to renew my commitment to BE CONTENT.  Happiness doesn't come from what we have or don't have.  Happiness comes from inside ourselves, from  being at peace with Jesus and trusting Him in all things.  Happiness comes from knowing that no matter what, He will never leave us or forsake us. 
 
So today, I will not complain that the weather outside isn't exactly what I would have ordered.  I will praise God that I have a roof over my head.  I will not complain that I have to work today.  I will praise Him that I am not unemployed.  I will not complain that my house isn't the latest style.  I will thank God that it is a house filled with love. 
 
Won't you join me in thanking God for all His blessings?  He is so worthy of our praise!

1 comment:

  1. this was a really nice post. I know exactly how you feel about being content. It's easy to get caught up in wanting more...bigger...better. I made the same commitment you just made about a year ago and it's made a big difference in my life. I don't know if you journal or not but it helped me a lot to write down throughout the week what I was thankful for. I started finding that I was really thankful the little things in my life and having a newer house wasn't going to change my life much. I may have to re-think that thought though (grin). I'm a fall and spring kind of girl too but I'm trying to appreciate the other two seasons and find things that I like about them. I get to enjoy my fireplace in the winter...so I try to focus on that.

    I hope you have a great day. I'm enjoying your blog.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete